With Halloween less than a week away the Mini Robots have been very excited.
This half-term Big Robot wants everything to be Halloween related. We’ve done Halloween colouring, watched Halloween TV programmes, he’s played Minecraft with a Halloween theme and so our baking just HAD to be spooky too.
Fortunately I have some mini biscuit cutters in various shapes so the gingerbread man became a zombie, the house shape made haunted houses and the cat shape was great for making vampire cats (I did suggest witches cats but the boys covered them in red icing and declared them vampires).
As I can’t eat food containing gluten, I used Doves Farm gluten free flour. You could use standard plain flour if gluten isn’t a problem for you.
Recipe – Spooky Vanilla Shortbread Biscuits
200g unsalted butter, room temperature
100g caster sugar
300g plain flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
Squeezy writing icing tubes (like these)
1. Preheat the oven to 180C / Gas 4
2. Measure butter and sugar into a bowl and whisk together (electric hand whisk is easiest) until fluffy.
3. Add the vanilla, half the flour and mix.
4. Add the remaining flour and, using your hands, rub the mixture together and knead to form a dough.
5. Divide the dough into two, roll out and cut biscuit shapes with your cutters.
6. Place on baking tray and bake for 10-15 minutes until lightly golden.
7. Once cooled, decorate with squeezy icing tubes.
The Mini Robots had great fun making these biscuits and they were perfect Halloween treat at snack time too.